Saturday, March 22, 2014

What's in my Makeup Bag?




I'm sure most makeup lovers are familiar with this scenario: Your not-as-beauty-enthusiastic-friend, -coworker, -pal sees what you carry with you, cosmetics wise, and is stunned. "Why on earth would one woman need all those products and potions on a daily basis? Isn't that heavy? Uuuh, that's pretty. What's that?" Well, I have this conversation almost weekly. Now, even for those fellow obsessers, this might seem a bit much but I'd rather leave the house prepared than wish midday that I had brought my eyelash curlers. Also, let's be honest, ever since I got this gorgeous and spacious leather makeup bag from &other stories as a Christmas gift last year I simply cannot resist showing it off. 



Makeup








L’Oreal Super Liner Ultra Precision Liquid Liner

This felt-tip liner is great for a quick cat eye on the go. It dries to a matte finish and is nicely pigmented. I prefer my Astor 24h Perfect Stay Thick & Thin Eyeliner Pen for getting ready in the mornings, due to its shape, but this one is a nice alternative to have on hand.


Maybelline Fit Me Concealer Medium

We have all had a random blemish pop up during the day and sometimes powder just doesn't quite cut it coverage wise. This one has been getting great reviews and I understand why. It covers, dries but doesn't cake, even when applied over powder products.


Mac Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation C30

Like many, I have stayed true to this powder for many years. I use it to touch up when I get oily. However I do not use it as a finishing powder any longer, hence it is in my makeup bag. You can definitely tell that this has gotten some serious love over the years; the entire writing has come off of it!


Burberry Eyeshadow Quad in Plum Pink No. 6

This product has just recently made the cut after I found myself being in a hurry in the morning (as usual) and leaving the house with almost no makeup. I know, horrible, right? Some days I just throw on a red lip or rock the nude look but I felt a bit too naked on the eyes. This quad is perfect for a 5-minute eye, as the colors don't differ from each other too much. This way you don't have to worry about perfect blending or going overboard. Personally I just take one small travel sized blending brush (try the Sigma E25) to create a quick but pretty plumy eye.



Lipsticks






Obviously I carry too many lip products with me on a daily basis. Let’s face it. I would not write a beauty blog if I didn’t have a problem. I love makeup. Period. Some of my favorites include MAC Velvet Teddy, Chanel Boy, YSL Rouge Volupte in 1 Nude Beige, Maybelline Jade Color Sensational Nudes Lipstick in Brazen Beige and L’Oreal Collection Privée by Douzen, as far as the nude department is concerned. I don’t want to go into too much detail for each of these, because I’m sure there will be a ‘Favorite Lip Products’ post coming in the future; just know that these are all different enough to justify carrying them all and great products.

Same goes for the slightly smaller collection of darker shades travelling along with me. Believe me, there were more but since spring is almost here some of those vampy shades just had to go. (#coldblooded)
Another YSL Volupte product, this time the Rouge Volupte Shine in No 6 Pink Devotion, has made the bag. This is probably no surprise to many, as the YSL lipstick formula is not only the most innovative but also one of the best ones on the market, due to its methods and ingredients ( ‘Favorite Lip Products’).
Finally, for lipsticks, two of the standouts of MAC’s range are applied fairly often: Riri Woo (limited edition) and Dark Side for those rainy days, you know?


Pencils




Maybelline Define-A-Brow - Light Brown

Do you love MAC’s Eyebrow Pencil? This is so so so similar! I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a dupe color-wise but the rest surely is: packaging, size, mechanism. I used to buy a friggin’ Fling Eyebrow Pencil every month! So annoying. Now I just get a few of these every-so-often from Amazon for the fraction of the price.


Manhattan X-Treme Last Automatic Eyeliner

You know those kohl-eyeliners that say ‘waterproof’ and ‘24h hour wear’? Well if yours does not live up to them, take one to go. It takes one second to touch up the waterline.


MAC Lip Pencils in Naked Liner and Cherry

I have to admit liners are not really a makeup category that gets me all that excited. So I went the safe way and purchased these two quite a long time ago. One nude, one red. That’s it. Do you have any Holy Grail lip liners? I’d love to know! Please put them in the comment section below.


Moisture








Do you remember the MAC Tendertones? When I think back of the time when they were the ‘hype of the week’ it seems like forever ago. Anyway, I still enjoy them! The one in Hot’n’Saucy gives of just the slightest bit of color, while hydrating the lips and smelling just lovely of strawberries.

When my lips are craving a tad more hydration or I am in the mood for a nude tint I go for the Korres Lip Butter in Jasmine. I have already finished the Guava one, which I do prefer but couldn’t stand the scent of anymore, unfortunately, after being obsessed with it for so long. You know what that’s like, don’t you?
Instead of carrying a hand lotion I have been enjoying the P2 Nail Wax with mango-extract. Even though it is marketed as a nail wax I use it all over my hands and it does moisturize them well without being overly greasy. Plus it’s super cheap! The smell is similar to the MAC Tendertone in intensity and bordering on being artificial but it does smell like mango!


Miscellaneous







The last few things are really random but not less important than the makeup. My H&M eyelash curlers always come to work when I need to look awake at night when I am really not. Also, the Alien Perfume by Thierry Mugler will cover any smell you might have lingering on you, trust me. That stuff is strong! If you want to go the softer way, get a travel size deodorant. This works just like gum; your girlfriends will want some when you use it. Get the spray kind. This way you can share. 
I do have a beauty blender in here, just in case I have a blemish. I absolutely will not, under no circumstance, touch my blemish to cover it. The bacteria will only make it worse.
Of course I have to have my dry shampoo with me. What might have looked good in the morning ever so often turns out to be an oily mess by 6 p.m. The Batiste Dry Shampoo in Blush is only in here because it is travel-sized. Seriously, this is one product where I simply cannot understand why everyone loves it so much. There are so many dry shampoos on the market by now that don't give you a white residue on your roots. Why does this one do that? Did I get a bad one? Please tell me what the deal is! Finally, bring a hair tie, hair clips and some feminine products. Always be prepared ladies!


This concludes what appears to be a 'what's in my survival kit' post. I hope this was helpful and please tell me what you are currently carrying around in your makeup bag in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment